“Dig through your couch cushions, your purse, or the floor of your car and look at the year printed on the first coin you find. What were you doing that year?”
The answer is 1967 – I had a look and found a penny from 1967.
I was not doing anything really, I guess you could say I was -9.
Despite my lack of L
However, despite my lack of living there
- The year started on a Sunday and on the 1st January Canada began a year-long celebration of the 100th anniversary of the British North America Act, 1867.
- The Vietnam war which started on 1 November 1955 and ran till the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975 was happening.
- While in Australia Ronald Ryan became the last man hanged, for murdering a guard while escaping from prison in December 1965.
- The first North Sea gas was pumped ashore at Easington, East Riding of Yorkshire. Given that I now work in Project Management in an Oil & Gas business this is quite interesting to me anyway.
- Puppet On A String by Sandie Shaw won the Eurovision Song Contest 1967 for United Kingdom – one of the few time the UK won the contest.
- The British Parliament decriminalises homosexuality
- The town of Winneconne, Wisconsin, announces secession from the United States because it is not included in the official maps and declares war. Secession is repealed the next day.
- Wonderful Radio London shuts down at 3:00 PM in anticipation of the Marine Broadcasting Offences Act. Many fans greet the staff upon their return to London that evening with placards reading “Freedom died with Radio London.” Radio Caroline defies the Act and continues broadcasting.
- Walt Disney’s 19th full-length animated feature The Jungle Book, the last animated film personally supervised by Disney, is released and becomes an enormous box-office and critical success. On a double bill with the film is the (now) much less well-known true-life adventure, Charlie the Lonesome Cougar.
- The UK pound was devalued from 1 GBP = 2.80 USD to 1 GBP = 2.40 USD. that was not all that bad given the rate is now 1GBP = 1.5 USD.
- And the Summer of Love what held in San Francisco.
Sounds like it was a jam packed year hope everyone who was living enjoyed it.